Living life day by day. Every day is a gift - playing-home.blogspot.com -

Sleep oh sweet sleep !

I NEVER in a million years thought that my children would go to bed and fall asleep when the sun was still shining.   My kids were the kids that went to bed and fought sleep and finally were asleep by 11 pm.   They slept in and life was...well...whatever...I got to sleep in right ?
We changed things up a bit and set bed time earlier...with a better routine.
It worked.   Well Cam still had issues falling asleep but over all...they were doing it.
Syd.   Syd is her own little nightmare on a pillow.   If it isn't being scared it's terrors and mares and the works.
SO.  we changed it up AGAIN.  
I stopped giving the big boys naps.   I know, I know.  What about that time during the day, when it's quiet for at least 1-2 hours.  (sigh) 
I gave it up.
All of our problems were suddenly gone.
Just like that.
Cam....is asleep before Spencer and I don't know how that's possible.  
We could probably get them to sleep at 7 pm.  but it's so hard when we are eating and bathing and changing and hanging out together with Mommy J that 7:30 pm is just fine.   They actually ASK us if it's bed time.  NO WAY !  oh but yes.

I have been working with Syd on her worries and fears through some fantastic workbooks that a really neat person told me about (wink)
It's helped.   and I don't know if the boys going to bed so well has helped her...but my 3 older ones are now asleep by 8pm.  BY 8pm.  That means that some days.  it's even EARLIER.  OMG (gasp, hold breath, cover mouth)
It's true.

The babies are still works in progress.    Thing is.  We screwed the older 3 up in the beginning and look at where we are today with them.  SO, there's hope that we can eventually fix the babies too.
Nathan is a champ.   He will "normally" drink his milk, roll over with binky in mouth, wrap his arm around his baby and fall asleep.   Some nights he flips and flops.  talks himself down.  but within about 10 minutes...he will put himself to sleep.
Ryan.  my little snuggle bug.   He HAS to be touching you.  Even if it's a finger. he has to feel our skin next to his.   He sleeps with us...and through the night without a fuss...but he does still sleep with us.

SO.  our routine :
I read books in the boys room.  They all pile around and on me in the glider.
The boys jump in bed with sippy cups and binkys (yes, they still get binkys at bedtime...but, ONLY at bedtime...and in the car on 13 hour trips :)  Sound machine goes on and I walk away.
I then take Syd in to her room.  She reads a book to me, I read a book to her.  I turn on some music (she has had music since birth) and I walk away.

In the meantime.  J has been in our room laying on the bed, next to Ryan...so he can throw a leg over her or lay his head on her back while falling to sleep.  
Once asleep we party like it's 1999.  Ok.  we are too damn tired for any of that nonsense.  but this is when we have time to watch our netflix movies.  as we don't watch or follow any TV shows.   Although I hear about them all of the time and sometimes wish that I could.
note - as long as there isn't a Jazz game on :) 
Or we just talk, or.  we just.  go to bed.

SO.  sleep sweet sweet sleep.
I have to say, having my time at night, instead of sleeping in...is DIVINE !   The kids all get up around 7-7:30 am.   but I wouldn't trade it for the world for the time we have together at night.

Not rubbing it in.  Just giving those of you struggling some hope.
And for those of you out there who have kids that have slept through the night.  Don't take binky's.  Don't sleep with you.  I commend you.   and I stick my tongue out at you and then flip you off as you walk away.  all the while you are laughing at me, because you did it right and I did it all wrong :) ha ha
Oh well ! live and learn and one day it won't matter at all.
You have read this article with the title Sleep oh sweet sleep !. You can bookmark this page URL https://playing-home.blogspot.com/2010/04/sleep-oh-sweet-sleep.html. Thanks!

No comment for "Sleep oh sweet sleep !"