Living life day by day. Every day is a gift - playing-home.blogspot.com -

I pumped!

Last night Carly would not go to sleep! We tried EVERYTHING. We even gave her a new born pacifier even though our nurses told us not to give her a pacifier for ten days! I believe KJ told us she used pacifiers right away and they were a life saver and her babies never had nipple confusion. :) We were desperate...So, we tried it and it worked for a little bit until it would fall out and then she'd wake up pissed three minutes later. I gave her my breast every hour which was a mistake I've been told, because then she's only snacking and doesn't get the nutritious part at the end. She was also KILLING my nipples even though I was told she's latching right. The pediatrician also said she's so new we can't feed her too much at all. (MIXED MESSAGES!) Finally, I was SO sore and I figured I'd try the pump. I got half an oz from each side in a matter of minutes and gave Carly a slow flow nipple and she downed it in no time flat. Poor hungry girl! It seemed SO much more effective, then her falling asleep and not getting it all. I pumped this morning after waiting 3 hours and I got almost 1 1/2 oz. The pump just stops getting milk, so I figure that's all I have. Hope I'm using it right. Carly was asleep when I pumped, so I put the milk in the fridge so it wouldn't go bad. My sister said she thinks it would have stayed good for up to five hours in a cool house. I'll have to ask the pediatrician about that. When Carly woke up I ran downstairs and warmed up the milk in the bottle warmer, but when I was ready to give it to her she had fallen back to sleep! Our friend told us that after using the warmer she thinks its only good for an hour, so I was worried Carly was going to waste my only breast milk. Finally, she woke up and Tina was able to feed her for her first time! :) Looks like Carly could definitely eat more. My concern was that she wouldn't take my breast once we gave her a bottle, but at the same time, I need her to be able to take the bottle when I go back to work before summer break. I guess its not the end of the world if she doesn't ever want my breast as long as she's still getting my breast milk. We'll see. I'll keep trying. Last night we also realized that we have a ton of blankets, just not the correct swaddling type that Carly needs to be comfortable. We're going to have to go buy some, because she is WAY happier in a swaddle when she's sleeping. She would only fall asleep in our arms and when we put her in her cradle she would scream. Finally Tina let her lay on her stomach and she sort of slept like that for two hours. Isn't that how babies die of SIDS and get squashed from their mothers. Oh my god, we broke all the rules last night. Hopefully, we will do much better tonight. I wonder if I can take a little nap now? Carly's sleeping on her back on this portable diaper changer that's between us. Its super cool! It even has these little guard rails. She sure wouldn't have anything to do with it last night.
You have read this article with the title I pumped!. You can bookmark this page URL https://playing-home.blogspot.com/2009/04/i-pumped.html. Thanks!

No comment for "I pumped!"