Living life day by day. Every day is a gift - playing-home.blogspot.com -

Extreme Intervention !

It's a little like Extreme Make-over...when the person would tell them what SHE thought was wrong with her, pointing to a few places on her face that are off balance or misshapen and then they come at her with their pen and her face ends up looking more like a pie chart or epitrochoid.

Spencer had a speech evaluation today. Throughout the process and testing/placing blocks in to a cup and the triangle on the triangle I was worried that they were going to roll their eyes at me and tell me that I wasted her time.
I wanted to scream...his gross motor skills are fine....check out the way he says "move please" (mooh pee)
Then she brought out charts and asked him to point to stuff. LADY. He gets it. He knows what a squirrel and an ice-cream cone is.
I felt discouraged and wanted to say. "now why are you here ? I didn't schedule this. My pediatrician said he was fine."
She started flipping through the pages and would ask him questions and then have him repeat stuff. I was actually surprised at how well he did sound and actually spoke up and said that he will repeat stuff better than label it later on. He also did well on his colors. Correctly describing "boo cah cah" (translations: blue car)
She had a picture of 2 pencils and asked him what it was.
He excitedly announced with the biggest eyes, "Biiiihhhh" (translation: BIG) yes, and what is it ?
"maaaaah" (translation: small) yes, and what is it ?
he went back and forth with big and small and after asking him 2 times to repeat pencil he picked up the yellow triangle and placed it on the page and said "weh-oh. weh-oh" with high and low inflections in his voice (really quite adorable)
She then turned the page and I wasn't ready....DAMN lady. He just got his yellow color figured out and it wasn't blue. and don't write that down. and don't score extra points because he's cute.

She finished and added numbers up and I wanted to get a calculator so that she would add them up right, no wrong, no right. no wrong. I didn't know whether I wanted something to be wrong or not.
She said that he didn't qualify for pre-school because he was over 16 % on adaptive, social, receptive, expressive, gross, fine and cognitive. The ranges are from 16-84 % anything over 16 % doesn't qualify. I knew he would be fine in these areas.
As far as speech therapy. he qualified, reaching a mere 4 %.
I knew it. and I'm glad we are getting something done about it. He talks all the time about a lot of stuff and 50 % of it I understand. Nobody else does though.
Not even Mommy J.

Cameron played downstairs with a few of the neighborhood kids while his brother was being tested. He happily came upstairs and started playing and talking to Spencer.
After a few minutes of writing the therapist looked up and said, "I think you should have him evaluated too. I'll look at my schedule and see when we can fit him in."
I could see her drawing circles all over his face and head. (figuratively) WAIT ! he's fine. he wasn't talking great a few months ago and now listen to him. so I did listen to him and I'm sure what she was hearing would give anyone some cause for concern. He really has come leaps and bounds in the last few months.
Who knows if when she tests him and listens to him if he will still qualify or not.

Cam has his eval on the 30th. I hope he passes, fails, no passes, no fails.
They still have to go in for their health and hearing check. That isn't until the first week in April.
I hope they both don't say, what the fuck and you make mommy want to drink when their pronunciation comes around. :) hee hee














I'll have you know, I spelled speech - speach- not once but twice while writing this post and it didn't occur to me either time that something was wrong.
Of course when spell check caught it I was all...WTF was I thinking.
Maybe there's a late intervention out there for people like me :)
You have read this article with the title Extreme Intervention !. You can bookmark this page URL https://playing-home.blogspot.com/2009/03/extreme-intervention.html. Thanks!

No comment for "Extreme Intervention !"