Living life day by day. Every day is a gift - playing-home.blogspot.com -

Discovery !


Thanks to the library, Jo, and reading by my lamp light at 11:30 pm for a few nights. I've made an important revelation about my sweet little Sydney.

The book that was recommended was "Raising the Spirited Child" not only was it a great book for helping those of us RAISING spunky, spirited children to not feel alone and self critical about how you are doing as a mother.
Mostly it helped me unravel my little girl.

I was reading about Extroverts and Introverts. I thought it ironic as a lot of us had taken the personality tests a while back. For any one who knows me and any one who doesn't for that matter....I'm tagged quite easily as an extrovert.
As was Sydney.
I read through all of the extrovert traits....how to handle them....what to do....and as I was laying there. J sleeping soundly next to me. I decided to go back and read the introvert section, the one I skipped over the first time as it didn't apply to Sydney. You know, because Cam seems to be more of an introvert and this way I can kill 2 birds with one stone...as we all know that NONE of my children will escape the spirited feature.

As I started reading it I would reread paragraphs...sentences...words. They were describing Sydney. Each characteristic, situation, all sounded JUST like her.
If harps could have played and a halo of light surrounding my head come on...that's how enlightened I felt.
WOW ! Sydney is an introvert. She masks it with an outgoing personality. She's not shy.
Now the way the book described it to me....is like this.
Introvert and extrovert is a way for a person to obtain his or her energy source.
If you are an extrovert, you need to get that energy from other people.
If you are an introvert, you get that energy source being alone or with a single person...maybe a mother or father.

I have been handling her all wrong. Pushing her in to social situations and expecting her to use all of that personality to get her through tough problems.

What I NEEDED to be doing was watching for signs of a much needed break. When she gets low on energy and starts to act out, I need to pull her back and let her unwind and build up.

THIS. THIS FOLKS, has been the most amazing and exciting piece of information.

This means that Syd has a chance at being a good student. Not acting out for attention like her mother :) (this was the first thing I thought of)
It also explains a lot of her misbehaving.
I understand her now. (again with the harps)
That is HUGE. These little people DON'T come with directions and figuring them out is as easy as trying to figure out how 54% of Americans still think we have a chance of winning the war in Iraq.

To quote a quote.
"I have found that sometimes people just need a hand to hold and a heart to understand them"
You have read this article spirited children / syd with the title Discovery !. You can bookmark this page URL https://playing-home.blogspot.com/2007/09/discovery.html. Thanks!

No comment for "Discovery !"