Though he did not specifically mention political issues such as same-sex marriage, President Packer spoke about marriage and the power of procreation, saying there are moral and physical laws that cannot be changed despite current political trends.
"To be entrusted with the power to create life carries with it the greatest joys and most dangerous temptations," President Packer said. "Whether we use this power as the eternal laws require or reject its divine purpose will forever affect who we will become."
He said God designed that power only be used in a legal and lawful marriage between a man and a woman. "Some suppose that they were pre- set and cannot overcome what they feel are inborn tendencies toward the impure and unnatural," President Packer said. "Not so. Why would our Heavenly Father do that to anyone? Remember He is our Father."
"There are those today who not only tolerate but advocate voting to change laws that would legalize immorality, as if a vote would somehow alter the designs of God's laws and nature," he said. "To legalize that which is basically wrong or evil will not prevent the pain and penalties that will follow as surely as night follows day," saying there are moral and physical laws that cannot be changed.
These are the words that were spoken...broadcast through out the world to Mormons and I suppose those who wanted to listen.
I of course was not one who listened....I personally can't stand the way they talk....even if the leaders and speakers of the church were talking about the latest football games I couldn't listen.
I swear they teach them how to monotone their voices and painstakingly add inflection at the same places in every single talk. I suppose they would say they are being reverent. I don't want them to scream it or rap it out...but seriously....to me it is nails on a chalk board to listen to....no matter the context.
But of course. the context is what I'm concerned with. Not so much surprised with...but concerned that the people closest to me were listening and always follow.
My family is Mormon. There might be a couple who have strayed....but over all....every single one of them are members of the LDS church. Same thing in J's family. Only there aren't any strays. WAIT ! yes there are....she has a niece and 2 nephews who have fallen from the flock.
It also confuses me...because not but a year ago I remember some of the church's leaders saying that they "believe" that we are born gay....but it is wrong to follow those "urges".
In the speech above it says that....we are not born gay. Why would God "make" us gay. He is our Father.
Do you hear how many things are absolutely wrong in that comment ?
It actually makes me sick to hear it. And I've heard it over and over and over my whole fucking life.
This is not a CHOICE people. This is who I am. And maybe if they were the ones who didn't have the choice.....they would understand.
In the meantime I suppose all that we can do is keep explaining it and hope that at some point their hearts soften to the truth and not to something that they just don't know and understand.
My family watched this conference. They soak it in. They go and feel it and grow from it. They listen and believe all that is spoken because it IS the word of God. (thunder, lightening)
What they keep telling to my mom, my dad, my Aunt, Cousins and Grandma....is that I'm faking this whole "gay" thing....and that what I am participating in is pure evil.
Okey dokey. Thanks for um, clearing that up. We have just started going to and feeling some acceptance to the family gatherings. It's only been 13 friggin' years and 5 kids later that my mom will call J, Mommy J instead of J. I suppose this is going to set us back about 9 years since we shouldn't have tried to mess with nature. FRIGGITY FRACK FROGGIT.
And what if it doesn't. What if all of this talk just messes with the heads of those that love someone who is gay. What if all that this does is causes more stress and inner conflict with my mom.
What if all that this does is makes me cringe and put up walls every time I'm making friendly conversation with someone I just met and then suddenly realize they are wearing garments* and have now been told and know that this is all just me being weak to my nasty temptatious ways.
I hate this. I hate that this makes me put up so many damn walls. My cousin who sends me religious based and sappy emails that I want to send back and say....girl, you know that these people are on a witch freaking hunt and I'm the one that's gonna burn. Why the hell are you sending this crap to me ? The one that I felt some connection to, for the first time in YEARS at our last get together. I didn't feel the distance and repulsion...which may or may not be coming from my own insecurities....but feelings that were there none the less. NOW. The next time I see her I will wonder if she wasn't as friendly or talkative because she had a bad day or if it was because my evil morality makes her uneasy.
I don't have the strength or the space to talk about the : there are moral and physical laws that cannot be changed despite current political trends.
Meaning that the whole children and marriage is something that must be saved for those who are a man and a woman.
(screaming internally. ragging. now screaming self righteous bastards. deep breath. clear throat)
ok. I'm done. It is so hard not to let this stuff.....and we all know that there is a TON of it right now, especially with marriage and the government...effect me and who I am.
I don't want to be bitter and hardened. I don't want to be angry and defensive.
EVERY time these talks come up, it always make me question my families loyalty all over again. Is it strictly with the church, which is what you are taught to hold steadfast to ?
And if they are devout, which they are,....and if they are true members, which they are,....then the answer would be yes and that leaves me feeling abandoned, hurt and sad. again.
Great family values.
I'm so sick of being made to feel evil and dirty. Feelings that are putting people's lives at risk. We all know what happened to the rutgers kid. Seriously....like having people know that you had same sex attractions or contact with someone of the same sex is so bad that you have to take your own life.
Where do these feelings of self hate and feeling, "unnatural, imoral and evil" come from. hmm ?
There's a lot of responsibility behind words. And I guess there are those who feel that a dead kid is better than a gay one....but I for one can't imagine that God would feel the same. I mean...remember, he is our Father.
My kids were all asleep at 7 pm tonight. SEVEN. Instead of letting this all eat at my empty stomach....I ate a double cookie sundae. :)
It really did help sooth the sting.
I am going to blog about being fat and happy soon...and how I believe that there is definite truth to it. :) but for now I'm going to play free cell until my eyes won't stay open....because sleeping right now is not an option.
*garments are a type of covering worn under the clothes. It's suppose to help with modesty, and remembering the promises they made to god. To always kneel and profess Jesus to be the one and only Christ and to keep your marriage sacred. or something like that. It's Mormon underwear.
You have read this article with the title **sigh** Conference weekend in Utah ! WOO HOO. You can bookmark this page URL https://playing-home.blogspot.com/2010/10/sigh-conference-weekend-in-utah-woo-hoo.html. Thanks!
No comment for "**sigh** Conference weekend in Utah ! WOO HOO"
Post a Comment