Living life day by day. Every day is a gift - playing-home.blogspot.com -

Redirecting

Redirecting for me is like wiping your ass right in the middle of big ol' shit.      You accomplish nothing, and now you've got shit all over the place.

If I've learned anything from all of the reading and research I do, it's that as a parent you must learn to redirect.    And according to Positive parenting you keep redirecting over and over until it works.  
If I did this.  I wouldn't have time to wipe my own ass.  literally.  because this would have to be the full time job of 3 very talented multi tasking people.   

Example.
Cameron has a train.   Spencer wants the train.  Spencer cries and cries and pleads for the train.  His crying escalates to a full on arm cut off wail and he is now following Cameron, who is moving from room to room because he can't play with all of the noise, throwing himself over whatever piece of furniture happens to be close.   Enter mom.
I ask both boys if there is some way we can come to a middle ground.  no.  ok.   Spencer, lets go find another train, as there are 4 other trains that are almost exactly the same as that one and the only reason you want it is because Cam has it.   No.  ok.   Would you like to go play cars until Cam is done playing with that train ?  NO.   Would you like to color ?  NO.  Would you like to run in the middle of the road with your mouth open catching bits of candy falling from the sky ?  NO !  the fit gets louder and is now too close to me.

I leave the situation to let Spencer calm down a little.   He keeps following Cam around who is now REALLY over his screaming and turns and clocks Spencer in the head with said train.    Now Spencer is screaming so loud only dogs can hear it...and me...and Cam...and now Cam's in trouble.  

Now I know you are saying....why didn't you remove Spencer from Cam.   Well that works ALMOST as well as redirecting him does.    He won't stop.    I've even held him and tried soothing him explaining softly that I understand how much he wants to play with the train.   He just yells and thrashes around on my lap.    You aren't suppose to lock them in their room.   it's "POSITIVE"  remember.   

Now, Cam is a pretty good sport and more than not he will eventually give in to the howls of his brother.  but damn man...it's a long road getting there.  and I hate that Cam ends up hitting and getting in trouble and then we start with the whole....how do you put 2 kids in time out at the same time and OMG I want a drink.

That was scene one.  Two is better and really has more to do with the shit getting spread around.

Ok, same same...Cam has it...spencer wants it.   Spencer will you play with this this this this or this ?...NO! ok, how about you help me vacuum ?  ok.  WTF.  ok.  ok.   here, make sure you don't suck up anything with a tag on it or that you put on your feet.

Enter Cam whose now disgarded the train to the floor with (adding now)Syd close on his heels.   I want to vacuum, I want to vacuum.   I asked Spencer to do it, go play.   NO. I want to vacuum.  Why does Spencer get to vacuum ?  I want to vacuum I want to vacuum....(continued, more winey each time it's repeated)
This is when the other two start throwing fits.    That's when Syd and Cam place themselves in front of the vacuum so that Spencer can no longer use the hose to suck up the same piece of carpet he's been sucking since this whole thing started.  Syd takes the vacuum away from Spencer because she's bigger.  Which then gets Cam mad at Syd for taking it away so he hits Syd who's already being yelled at for taking the hose.  She then hits Cam back, usually harder, which then gets him crying.  Now all 3 kids are screaming at the top of their lungs and I'm still trying to come up with something to redirect Sydney and Cameron with.

In the meantime both babies are watching and have now learned to hit...so they walk over and start hitting whoever is closer and not being held back by me, you know...not to be left out.   Which usually leads to a shove from the hittee..and now the baby that has fallen to the floor from being pushed is screaming with his arms up needing me to pick him up...but my arms are too busy pointing, lifting, holding and just "redirecting" that I need like 6 more arms to accomplish any of it successfully.  8 if I want to pick my nose or scratch my ass.

(sigh)

I guess what I'm saying is that.....I'm still searching.

This is a little something we picked up on our trip to Zions Canyon.  
We are going to hang it in our trailer.  :)
Fitting aye ?
You have read this article with the title Redirecting. You can bookmark this page URL https://playing-home.blogspot.com/2010/04/redirecting.html. Thanks!

No comment for "Redirecting"