Living life day by day. Every day is a gift - playing-home.blogspot.com -

Liar Liar pants on fire !!!

I'm sure this is a stage.   A deceitful phase.  But my little fabricator is all about storytelling right now.
Syd has lied before to get out of trouble....these new falsehoods are more elaborate stories than anything.  They seem to be happening a LOT lately.  and a lot of the time I'm left trying to decipher the truth from the untruth.  If I ask her a question I usually get an exaggeration of the truth. 

Most of the "stories" I'm talking about are either SUPER positive or SUPER negative too. 
For example, "My teacher let me lead the class today and she said I was the VERY best "reader, singer, writer, adder.. pick a subject" in the WHOLE class." or, "Jared (all names are changed to protect the identity of those really involved...and I, for the life of me can't remember all of the names of the kids in her class :) fell today and I helped him up and asked him if he was ok and he was mean to me and said, Syd- you are the meanest kid in class, and I wish you were dead !!"
It's pretty easy to see through the make-believe...but I do worry about the things she comes up with sometimes.
Like the time I asked her what she did in school and her response was, "we had 5th grade buddies" and I said, "what did you do ?" and she replied, "pooped" and I said, "hmm...that's nice...what else ?"  and she finished with, "oh nothing...we just pooped together."  

I came up with something that hasn't really helped but I keep trying.   I told her that her imagination is awesome and that she can tell the best stories, (as long as they don't have to do with pooping) but I need to know what is the truth and what isn't....so I came up with - Cool story and True story.   After she tells me something I ask, Cool story or true story ? most of the time she still says true story...even though I know it's not.  or maybe it's an exaggerated version.  I don't push it any further and we move on.

Nobody wants their children to lie...and I do hope that this is just a phase.  but I also hope that I'm doing the right thing.   We've talked about what is the truth and what is a lie.   I've explained and given her an example about when you don't tell the truth, it's hard to believe the truth when it actually IS the truth.  (crying wolf...although I didn't use that story.  why didn't I use that story.  what the hell am I thinking, that's a way easier story to understand at this age than the one I came up with)

Anybody have advice or pointers about this ?  or can reassure me that this too shall pass on it's own ?



 
 
You have read this article with the title Liar Liar pants on fire !!!. You can bookmark this page URL https://playing-home.blogspot.com/2009/12/liar-liar-pants-on-fire.html. Thanks!

No comment for "Liar Liar pants on fire !!!"