Look at these kids. Skin and bones. I would worry about Spencer's weight but I've spent many hours googling : toddlers and eating, toddlers and not eating, toddlers weight gain, toddlers how skinny is too skinny, toddlers they won't fucking eat and they are too skinny, how to get your skinny toddler to eat something besides Nilla Wafers and fish crackers. So I'm pretty much schooled on the fact that there is no real concern here. I also get that they could be MUCH skinnier, but they are pretty damn skinny.
The advice for feeding toddlers stretches from let them eat when they want and what they want to - fix one meal for the family, if they don't eat it they go hungry (which is the route we have taken). Which translates to look at my skinny fucking kids up there. We aren't SOOOO-ho strict about it. I offer them the food I fix for the family...they don't eat it. At bedtime I give them something, banana bread and milk, crackers and cheese. something that will fill their bellies a little so they will sleep good.
Growing up my mother always served us a meat, vegetables and a fruit. I have tried to do the same. I serve the food groups and I'm lucky if even one whole food group is eaten. Example. Last nights menu, chicken, rice, beans, apple slices.
Cameron ate 3 apple slices, Spencer ate 2 bites of chicken. yip, that's it.
Spencer NEVER eats the vegetables. EVER.
I have read the book that was plagiarized by Jerry Seinfeld's wife about hiding vegetables in different foods. I tried hiding squash in mac n cheese, one of MY kids 4 food groups. One that they will actually eat....they stopped eating it. "this tastes yucky !"
I add corn and peas to mac n cheese and Syd and Cameron devour it. Spencer gets sick of picking out the vegetable and just doesn't eat. The problem with that, again refer to picture of skinny kid above.
So I've stopped adding vegetables to Spencer's and just continue to feed it to the other two.
If I make a casserole, soup, spaghetti, chicken pot pie...ANYTHING that has vegetables in it..Spencer turns his nose up and won't even give it a try.
My kids won't even eat the frozen chicken nuggets. ARE YOU FRIGGIN' KIDDING ME ! What kid doesn't eat chicken nuggets.
Syd has always been an excellent eater. She ate broccoli and brussel sprouts until just recently and LOVES her some salad. She's not adventurous, but neither am I. She will eat vegetables and I don't even have to blend and hide them.
I just don't understand these boys.
Also....my kids don't snack. I don't let them so that they will be hungry and eat their meals. I've tried it both ways...giving them yogurt, fish crackers, cheese sticks, grapes (they won't eat) etc....then they won't eat lunch or dinner.
I've actually started letting them snack all day since they were sick last week because I was worried about them and would have let them eat cookies and ice-cream all day if it would get them to eat.
Wrapping it up, my problems are these....getting them to eat healthy and getting them to eat period.
If I keep offering them the meat/vegetable/fruit options...they will continue wasting it and wasting away.
Oh and we also struggle with the...."HEY, he likes pork chops....YEAH ! we'll eat them EVERYDAY !!" and then the very next day he won't touch them. or the next week or the following Sunday.
H~E~E~E~E~L~P !!!!!
You have read this article with the title Wastin' away in my-grrr-eat it-ville !!!!. You can bookmark this page URL https://playing-home.blogspot.com/2009/03/wastin-away-in-my-grrr-eat-it-ville.html. Thanks!
No comment for "Wastin' away in my-grrr-eat it-ville !!!!"
Post a Comment