Spencer gets down from the table with his cereal and OF COURSE it spills all over the floor.
He loses it, because at least one of my children has to be screaming about something at all times and this time it is Spencer's turn. (oh and earlier for no apparent reason it was his turn too)
When one child is upset and in need of compassion the other 2 for some reason take the opportunity to jump in and taunt, tease and torture the sad child.
Cameron started growling at Spencer which started the loud ear piercing and protesting "uuuh's".
I took the opportunity to turn the situation around. With my hands full I said, "Cam, no more."
That worked. of course it worked. I mean I asked him to stop. he should obey me right ? ha ha
So then I said, "Cam, help Spencer clean up his cereal, he's very sad"
Cameron replied, "No !"
Sydney jumped from the table as if to help encourage Cameron's behavior she patted him on the back and laughed.
I said, "Syd, since you find it so funny you can help Spencer clean up his cereal"
(she did. AMAZINGLY without question)
She began picking up the cereal and placing it back in to the bowl. Spencer helped by picking up the cereal and placing it in his mouth.
After it was cleaned up and I was focused again on getting SOME of the food in the babies mouths and not down in the deep lost forever crevices of their necks.
Sydney starts saying sternly, "Spencer ! sit down or you are going to spill your cereal again !"
Spencer of course went right back in to the distraught and hurt cry.
Trying once again to make things better with words I said, "Spencer, Syd doesn't want you to be sad if your cereal spills again. She's worried about you buddy."
Syd doesn't skip a beat and says, "No I'm not. I don't want to pick it up if it spills again. That was hard work."
I do this all of the time. When someone is laughing and taunting the other one I will try and change it up by saying, "Cam (who is crying) Spencer is trying to make you laugh....he's being nice." (translation :he's not laughing AT you, but WITH you)
SOMETIMES it works. Sometimes Spencer then starts to try and make Cam laugh instead of cry and Cam plays along.
Other wise I am forced to put down 2 babies who HAVE to be held or they will cry along with the older child...and remove the teaser from the room. Who of course returns right behind me and continues teasing only now it's more fun because everyone is mad. By the time the situation meets it's end, EVERYONE is crying and I'm on the verge of finding a dark corner to hide in.
On a brighter note. I'm starting to get a glimpse of my kind and loving baby girl again. I've missed her. She took some sick time off and I've wondered if I would ever see that sensitive sweet maturing side again. I am. It comes and it goes but hey, I'll take what I can get. I'm sure she will be back full force as this virus heads out.
You have read this article with the title Don't put words in my mouth. You can bookmark this page URL https://playing-home.blogspot.com/2009/03/don-put-words-in-my-mouth.html. Thanks!
No comment for "Don't put words in my mouth"
Post a Comment