Living life day by day. Every day is a gift - playing-home.blogspot.com -

Movie Monday

I'm gonna get in trouble with this one.   Think of this though, while reading my mostly biased critiquing of these movies.  I am just a stay at home, extremely brain dead mom...who NEVER gets out and who's television viewing is limited to that of Word Girl and Wow Wow Wubzy.

I'll start with the punch in the stomach and then leave you with something lighter...that way you don't leave all pissed off.  Or maybe you do.  I'm sorry.

New Moon.  
It's the 2nd part to the twilight saga.  The movie that everyone rushed to see.  That people slept out for...outside.....like black friday, only it was on a Saturday, to buy on DVD.   We watched it.   hmm ?  Lets just say that if you asked me who wrote this movie....I would have guessed that it were a Mormon, stay at home mom, with no experience in writing a book or movie.
There were a few points in the movie that the dialogue seemed so scripted.     And the repetitive dialogue of her telling him...I want to be one of you.  No, I'll never let you.  But I want to be with you. No, I'll never let you, got extremely old.

My opinion.  I didn't love New moon.   I think it's a movie geared to 15-25 crowd and I would never let my 15 year old watch it.   I will watch the last one though because that's just the way I am.  :)
A friend of mine who actually read the series though, said it was good.   I think that may have been my number one problem, I didn't read the books.  Maybe not.  Maybe is just me.  Maybe it was the hype built up around it...and that it was supposed to be better than the first one.

Ok, understand that my expectations are much higher for New Moon and some of the other movies I review given that they are box office hits.   I can in no way compare new moon to the gay movies I critique.   So saying that New Moon sucked but that I liked Claire of the moon....well that's just crazy. 
So now telling you that I liked She likes girls 4 : tomboys and tough girls, is probably going to ruin any reputable opinion I had with you up to now, right ?  ha ha
It's true though.

She likes girls 4 : tomboys and tough girls
This movie TOTALLY sounds like something you'd buy for 4.99 at the local Days Inn.  but interestingly enough it was really good and not at all porno 101.
I didn't even know there were 1-3 when I put it in my Netflix queue.   I just added it when it came up as a suggestion on the gay and lesbian section.

It's a series of shorts.  None were cheaply done.   They were a little sundancey, but personally I think most of these gay movies are.  
Some were more subtle and some were just funny.
Either way, neither J nor I felt like it was a wasted night at the movies.
I also immediately went upstairs to add 1-3 to my queue.

My opinion.  Watch it.

The opposite of sex
I know what you are thinking.  I got it just because the word sex was in it.   Not at all.   I did move it up on my queue because the word sex was in it.  but also because Christina Ricci and Lisa Kudrow were in it.
I don't know how many people have watched the movie Freeway, with Reese Witherspoon.   Or the movie Natural Born killers.   Not that it's all violent like these movies...but it leaves you with the same disturbed feeling afterwards.
Strange movie.  
Christina Ricci leaves home and moves in with her gay brother and his partner and then starts screwing everything up.

My opinion.   Watch it if you liked Freeway.  (I owned Freeway at one time.   I loved the lines in that movie and still use them on occasion.  "just keep talkin' Bob aint nobody listenin" FREEWAY has some gay in it...I TOTALLY need to review it.  Add it to the list.)

Puccini for beginners
A movie about a girl who just breaks up with her girlfriend and then starts having an affair with both a man and a woman.    At the same time.  but not at the "SAME" time.  It's a 3 way of sorts :)
I didn't mind the affair with the man in this because it's Justin Kirk from Weeds who I love.  (Weeds is great if you haven't watched it.  Start from the beginning or you'll hate it)
It's cute and it has a happily ever after ending (sorry if that ruined it for you...I look forward to these)

My opinion.  Watch it.

Brushfire
I don't even remember a lot of this movie.   This is what I do recall,  Low Low Low budget.  shorts. 

My opinion.  Terrible.  Don't waste the time.

Drifting Flowers
This is 3 stories woven in to each other.   It takes place in Taiwan.  It is subtitled not so that you would mind it.
The main story takes place around a blind woman who falls for a lesbian musician who plays for her (she sings).   Her young sister whom she is responsible for gets jealous because she too falls for the musician (as we all fell for our teachers and such, not sexual)
The ending is a little strange and I wished it would have had a more cut and dry happily ever after.

My opinion.  Watch it on a weekend when you have nothing to do and no expectations.

That's it.   That's all she wrote.
Please don't leave me hate mail if you happen to be a person who has a Twilight bumper sticker. 
Honestly.  We don't have to agree on the same movies.  Well except for the classics like Beaches, Life as a House, Blindside and Return to me.   Them are indisputably GREAT movies.  :)
You have read this article Movie Monday with the title Movie Monday. You can bookmark this page URL https://playing-home.blogspot.com/2010/03/movie-monday.html. Thanks!

No comment for "Movie Monday"