Living life day by day. Every day is a gift - playing-home.blogspot.com -

Down the rabbit hole

I went to see Alice in Wonderland on Sunday - although there were a few parts that were a little tedious, overall I loved it. I have the original Disney cartoon version on DVD so I had watched that again this past week to get in the spirit. I found it interesting how Tim Burton integrated other things (like the Jabberwocky) into the story - I will admit I was totally mesmerized when Johnny Depp started reciting the Jabberwocky - I had a college professor (my degrees are in English Literature) who could do it brilliantly, and Depp was certainly as good. I can picture Depp doing Shakespeare  - remember Michael Keaton in Much Ado About Nothing!
I began by tearing out the rabbit hole from a piece of watercolor paper. Then I applied a thick coat of gesso with a palette knife and sculpted it to create the tree. While it was still wet (it actually took overnight to dry), I sprayed it with glimmer mist - suede, coffee shop, chocolate cherry, and black gold. I sprayed the rest of the background with green, blue and  peach; and then used some lime paint dabber to add more contrast.
I tore papers and created the hole (edges are inked and/or sprayed to create more depth). I cut the little Alice from a black and white drawing and colored her with pencils (wait until I get my copics!!!).
I then created my garden with a Prima spray and some vintage flowers and leaves. I added the dragonfly (didn't you love the dragonflies in the movie - I had always loved the little horse flies in the cartoon.)
I had 10 things to do last night and instead of doing them, I created this. Oh well.......
I am off to work today at the book store and then run some errands. I should have some items listed on etsy by Thursday - we are going to have company this weekend so I have to put away my craft stuff for a few days as they will be sleeping in my studio so I have to get a lot done in the next couple of days. 
I have a post on the http://thegalblog.blogspot.com/ today - please check it out.
thanks for reading and ttfn,
Chris
You have read this article mixed media with the title Down the rabbit hole. You can bookmark this page URL http://playing-home.blogspot.com/2010/03/down-rabbit-hole.html. Thanks!

No comment for "Down the rabbit hole"